The documents relate to:
- the nature of graduate studies
- module descriptions (relating to coursework. PhD students may be requested to audit certain modules to position themselves for their thesis research. This depends on their prior studies.
- an application form is provided
- Please also study the CCMS web site (ccms.ukzn.ac.za) to get a feel for the programme and the legacy left by previous cohorts of graduate students, lecturers and professors. For the public health track go to Communication for Participatory Development
- In the first instance send the application form to the Ausie Luthuli with the documents requested: i) full CV; ii) letter of motivation; etc.
- Please note that for non-UKZN graduates we also require academic references
- Please note that UKZN is a residential university and that full-time
study is required. The programme is not structured for part-time or distance study, though we might be flexible in certain instances where compelling circumstances pertain.
- Registration Fees are waived for full time study based in Durban but students need to budget for all other costs.
- Applicants with degrees from a non-South African university will need to get these evaluated by the National Qualification Authority. Please write to Sandra Munesar. Her email is firstname.lastname@example.org and contact number: +2731-260-1092. This is a time consuming process so please do not dely in submitting your application.
- While a draft proposal is useful, please note that once we have agreed to consider your application, the formal processes must be followed by the application. We cannot discuss proposals in detail in advance of acceptance.
- Selections are made by a School Committee, not by individual programmes, which is why full application documentation is required early on.
- PhD applicants do not need to send us a proposal but an indication of their preferred topic and how this fits with the expertise offered by our Centre. Our three main area of research are: i) political economy of the media/media studies; ii) public health communication/development communication; iii) cultural tourism and visual representation. Topics should be related to Africa in the world.
- Our academic year starts in early February
- Accepted applicants are to make their own accommodation arrangements. Liaise with the University's Residence Office in the first instance if you are from out of town: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
You are welcome to e-mail this information to us. The final deadline for applications for the following year is end of October . But PhD applicants should apply as early as possible so that where appropriate we can make an early decision on your application.
Keyan G. Tomaselli
Director: The Centre for Communication, Media and Society (CCMS)
Howard College Campus
University of KwaZulu-Natal
Durban 4041, South Africa
Tel: +31 260 2505
Fax: +31 260 1519