Transdisciplinary, involving i) critical indigenous qualitative methodologies, as applied via his decades-long Rethinking Indigeneity project https://ccms.ukzn.ac.za/projects/rethinking-indigeneity ; ii) Media Cities, in which film services are examined as generators of local development; and iii) critique of neoliberalism in tertiary education https://ccms.ukzn.ac.za/publications/ukzn-griot . In addition, he is editor of Critical Arts: South-North Cultural and Media Studies and co-editor of Journal of African Cinemas. He is a member of the Academy of Science for South Africa, contributes to programmes at the AFDA Film School, has written extensively on the South African film Industry, and acted as a script consultant.
His new stomping ground in China where he has been hosted by numerous universities and academies, and conferences at which he has been a keynote speaker.
- BA (Honours)
- MA (Dramatic Art)
- PhD (Wits) (1984)
PhD and MA Theses
- Ideology and Cultural Production in South African Cinema, PhD Thesis, University of Witwatersrand, 1983. https://ccms.ukzn.ac.za/Files/articles/PhD_theses/keyan%20tomaselli%20- %20phd%20thesis.pdf
- The Semiotics of Film, MA Thesis, University of Witwatersrand, 1980.
Areas of competence and specialisation
- Cultural and Media studies
- Critical Indigenous research methodology
- Development Communication
- Tomaselli, K.G. and Wessels, M. (2015) Researching the San. London: Routledge. Reprint in book form of two Critical Arts theme issues, 2014 (2 and 3), i) http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rcrc20/28/4?nav=tocList; and ii) http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rcrc20/28/3?nav=tocList
- Tomaselli, K.G. with Lange, M.E., Jansen, L.M. Fisher, R.C. and Morris, D. (2013) Engraved Landscape: Biesje Poort. Gordon’s Bay: Tormentoso Publishers. http://www.biesjepoortbook.co.za/
- Tomaselli, K.G. (Ed.) 2012. Cultural Tourism and Identity: Rethinking Indigeneity. Leiden, Netherlands: Brill. https://openaccess.leidenuniv.nl/bitstream/handle/1887/31866/ASC-075287668- 3233-01.pdf?sequence=2
- Tomaselli, K.G. and Wright, H.K. (eds.) 2011. African Cultural Studies and Difference. London: Routledge. (Reprint in book form of Cultural Studies Theme Issue, edited by Wright and Tomaselli, 2008, 22(2), 173-186). http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rcus20/22/2?nav=tocList
- Olorunnisola, A. and Tomaselli, K.G. (eds.) 2011. Political Economy of Transformation: The South African Media. New Jersey: Hampton Press. http://www.hamptonpress.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=978-1- 57273-990-1
- Tomaselli, K.G. and Chasi, C. (eds.) 2011. Development and Public Health Communication. Cape Town: Pearson.
- Tomaselli, K.G. and Scott, D. (eds.) 2009. Cultural Icons. Hojbjerg: Intervention Press / San Francisco: Left Coast Publishers.
- Tomaselli, K.G. (Ed.) 2008. Writing in the San/d: Autoethnography amongst indigenous Southern Africans. New York: Altamira Press, 180pp.
- Tomaselli, K.G. 2006/2007. Encountering Modernity: 20th Century South African Cinemas. Amsterdam: Rozenberg, 2006. Pretoria; UNISA Press, 2007. https://books.google.co.za/books?id=2qcvQCbLsv4C&pg=PA71&source=gbs_toc_r&cad=3#v=on epage&q&f=false
- Tomaselli, K.G. 2005. Where Global Contradictions are Sharpest. Research Stories from the Kalahari. Amsterdam: SAVUSA and Rozenberg, 159pp. http://rozenbergquarterly.com/where- global-contradictions-are-sharpest-research-stories-from-the-kalahari-contents/
- Tomaselli, K.G and Dunn, H. (eds). 2001. Media, Democracy and Renewal in Southern Africa. Colorado Springs: International Academic Publishers, 309pp. https://ccms.ukzn.ac.za/Files/articles/Books/tomaselli%20and%20dunn%20-%20critical%20studies%20on%20african%20media.pdf
- Tomaselli, K.G. 1996/1999. Appropriating Images: The Semiotics of Visual Anthropology. Aarhus, Denmark: Intervention Press, 1996, 297pp.
- K. G. and Ureke, O. 2017. “Cinematic Fact, Film Fact: Film Services and African Cinema” Journal of African Cinemas, 9(1). https://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals/view- Article,id=23753/
- Tomaselli, K. G. 2017. “Picking on the Poor. The Contradictions of Theory and Neoliberal Critique. Journal of Sustainable Tourism, 24(8), 1182-96. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/full/10.1080/09669582.2016.1276918
- Tomaselli, K. G. 2016. “Research Ethics in the Kalahari: Issues, Contradictions and Concerns” Critical Arts, 30(6), 804-22. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02560046.2016.1267253
- Tomaselli, K. G. 2016. “‘Seeing red’: cultural studies in global comparison” Journal of Multicultural Discourses, 11(4): 375-388. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/17447143.2016.1248969
- Tomaselli, K. G. 2016. “Ubuntu and intercultural communication: Power, inclusion and exclusion” Intercultural Communication Studies, XXV(1). http://web.uri.edu/iaics/files/Keyan-G.-TOMASELLI.pdf
- Dyll-Myklebust, L. and Tomaselli, K.G. 2016. “Rethinking the researcher-researched relationship: research participants as prodsumers” Communicare, 35(1). http://journals.co.za/docserver/fulltext/comcare/35/1/comcare_v35_n1_a2.pdf?expires=1501053615 &id=id&accname=57926&checksum=464908074966DE5215F9C9F4D7C1A4A5
- Tomaselli, K.G. 2016. “Ideological Contestation and Disciplinary Associations: An Autoethnographic Analysis” Communicatio, 42(2):276-292. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02500167.2016.1190390
- Nielsen, M., Mushin, I., Tomaselli K.G. and Whiten, A. 2016. ‘The Imitative and Cooperative Behaviour of Western and Indigenous Australian pre-school children’. Journal of Child Development, 87(3):795-806. http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/cdev.12504/full
- Tyali, S. and Tomaselli, K.G. 2016. ‘Assessing beneficiary communities’ participation in HIV/AIDS communication through community radio: X-K FM as a case study’. Communicare, 34(1), 1-18, 2015. http://journals.co.za/content/comcare/34/2/EJC184878?TRACK=RSS
- Tomaselli, K.G. (2016): ‘Practices in scholarly publishing: making sense of rejection’. Critical Arts. 29(6), 29(6): 713-724. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02560046.2015.1151107
- Mboti, N. and Tomaselli, K.G. (2015): ‘New political economies of film distribution for South Africa’s townships’. Critical Arts, 29(5): 621-643. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02560046.2015.1125093
- Tomaselli, K.G. and Sakarombe, P. (2015) ‘Griots, satirical columns, and the micro-public sphere’. Journal of African Media Studies. 7(3). http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/intellect/jams/2015/00000007/00000003/art00005
- Tomaselli, K.G. and Dyll-Myklebust, L. (2015) ‘Public self-expression: Decolonising researcher- researched relationships’. Communicatio, 41(3): 354-373. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/02500167.2015.1093328
- Tomaselli, K.G. (2015) ‘Accessing the Archive: A TV history of Afrikaans film’. Journal of African Cinemas, 7(1): 3-14. http://www.ingentaconnect.com/content/intellect/jac/2015/00000007/00000001/art00001
- Tomaselli, K.G. (2015) ‘Hacking through Academentia: Autoethnography, Data and Social Change’. Educational Research for Social Change, 4(2):61-74. http://search.proquest.com/openview/251739b3f7ac2d8287f1ae103bfd0530/1?pq- origsite=gscholar&cbl=2037364
- Tomaselli, K.G. (2015) ‘Encoding/decoding, the transmission model and a court of law’. International Journal of Cultural Studies, DOI: 10.117/136787791559961. Pgs: 1-12. http://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/1367877915599611
- Tomaselli, K.G. 2015‘(Un-) disciplined Indiscipline. The Langue and Parole of film studies in the Post’. South African Theatre Journal. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10137548.2015.1042906
- Tomaselli, K.G. (2015) Virtual Religion, the Fantastic, and Electronic Ontology. Visual Anthropology 28(2):109-126. http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/08949468.2015.996473
- Tomaselli, K.G. and Tomaselli, D.R. 2016. ‘The In-disciplining of Film Theory, Media Studies and the Disciplining of Practice’. In: Taylor, A., Antakly, C., de Mello, M.D.M. and Semerdjiev, S (eds.) The 21st Century Film, TV & Media School: Challenges, Clashes, Changes. Pp 150-181. Sofia:
- Tomaselli, K.G. 2016. ‘Cultural studies untamed and re-imagined’, in Connell , K. and Hilton, M. (eds) CCCS: 50 years on, Rowman and Littlefield International https://ws1.nbni.co.uk/widgets/page/581c6d67f5ba740678320054/0
- Watson, C., Barnabas, S and Tomaselli, K.G. 2016. ‘Smaller Lens, Bigger Picture: Exploring Self- generated Cellphilms in Participatory Research”. In MacEntee, K., Burkholder, C and Schwab- Cartas, J. (eds.) What’s a Cellphilm? Integrating Mobile Phone Technology into Participatory Visual Research and Activism. Sense Publishers: Rotterdam. https://www.sensepublishers.com/catalogs/bookseries/other-books/whats-a-cellphilm/
- Skjerdal, T. and Tomaselli, K.G. 2015. ‘Trajectories of Communication studies development in sub- Saharan Africa’ in David. W. Park and Peter Simonson (eds.) New Histories of Communication Studies. Routledge. https://www.book2look.com/embed/9781317540809
- Tomaselli, K. G. ‘Your Questions Answered on Open Access’ In The Conversation, October 2015, https://theconversation.com/your-questions-answered-on-open-access-49284
- Tomaselli, K. G. ‘Open Access is not free. Someone is doing the work’. In The Conversation, August, 2015 https://theconversation.com/open-access-is-not-free-someone-is-doing-the-work- someone-is-paying-46557
- Tomaselli, K. G. 2017. ‘Getting published is just the first step’ In Taylor & Francis Online. Available http://editorresources.taylorandfrancisgroup.com/getting-published-is-just-the-first-step/
- Sathiyah, V. (registered 2016) Cultural tourism and representation strategies in the South African context: a case study of the Baleni and Fududzi cultural camps on the African Ivory Route. University of Johannesburg.
- Sehume, J. (registered 2016) Appraising the ‘rethinking indigeneity’ project using transdisciplinarity. University of Johannesburg.
- Bodunrin, I. (registered 2016) A decolonial interpretation of indigeneity, citizenship and identity of the !Xun and Khwe indigenous youths of South Africa. University of Johannesburg.
- Editor, Critical Arts: South-North Cultural and Media Studies (UNISA Press, Taylor & Francis) http://www.tandfonline.com/toc/rcrc20/30/6?nav=tocList
- Co-editor and founder, Journal of African Cinemas (Intellect Books). https://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals/view-journal,id=158/